Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Shepastor: "Forty Days Towards..."

7Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
9Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
10Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
11Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
12Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
13Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
Psalm 51: 7-13, KJV

As a little girl growing up, “Lent” was a time when we gave up candy, baked goods and meat on Friday. We could not listen to loud music or dance on Sunday. Even if we did not attend church most Sundays, “Good Friday” was the day that we all went.

For me, it was a forty day march towards eating sweets again! We couldn’t wait to boil and color Easter eggs, make beautiful baskets with jelly beans, malted eggs, and big, beautiful chocolate bunnies! It wasn’t until years later that I began to grasp the wonderful opportunity the Lenten season offered to walk with the Lord in a very special and intimate way.

While we should daily come before the Lord with a desire to be cleansed, revived, renewed and restored, Lent is a time to magnify and increase our level of prayerful introspection.

Lent offers:

Forty days to pray intentional prayers of repentance and cleansing…
Forty days to fast for greater clarity…
Forty days to pursue God’s direction in a more focused way…
Forty days to pray for healing and reconciliation in our relationships, starting with God…
Forty days to seek God’s face…
Forty days to prepare for and cultivate a renewed excitement for the resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

What do these forty days of Lent mean for you?

Post a comment or send me an email at Shepastor1@hotmail.com

Until next Wednesday,
In Faith, Hope and Perseverance,
Pastor Chris
www.shepastorchris.org

No comments:

Post a Comment