Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Shepastor: “Don’t Hang Your Head, You May Miss Your Purpose”

Psalm 3:1-6, NIV
A psalm of David. When he fled from his son Absalom.
1Lord, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me! 2Many are saying of me, “God will not deliver him.”b 3But you, Lord, are a shield around me, my glory, the One who lifts my head high. 4I call out to the Lord, and he answers me from his holy mountain. 5I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me. 6I will not fear though tens of thousands assail me on every side.

The other day I heard an interesting fact about giraffes. As we know, they are tall, majestic and beautiful animals. They graze among tree tops and in general, get their food from high places. Every now and then they bow down to nibble on the grass and brush below. However, if their heads are hung for too long, they grow dizzy and pass out.This reminded me of the importance of allowing the Lord to be the “lifter of our heads.” There is much in life that can cause you to hang your head. Even the most faithful believer, at times encounters issues that pull their head down. Unexpected attacks from family and or “friends,” suffering the affects of menopause or mid-life crisis, feeling that you should be further along in life, disappointment over outcomes etc.

But like the giraffe, if we hang our heads for too long, we will get dizzy and pass out. Our “heads” will begin to spin with doubt, low self-esteem, worry, frustration and anxiety. Our energy levels will be zapped. Our perspective will be dark. Ultimately, if we dwell too long with a hung down head, we will miss our purpose. Dwelling in the place of “why” for too long will thwart us from fulfilling our life’s purpose.

So often we think that we are supposed to be here or there, have this or that, etc. And while there are surely injustices and misfortunes that happen, undeniably, God knew where we would be at this moment, space, place and time. Despite anything that has happened that was not on our agenda, God’s purpose and plans for our lives are still intact. We are on a journey. We cannot see the road ahead of us if we allow ourselves to be perpetually bowed down. “Lift up your heads oh ye gates and be ye lifted up ye everlasting doors and the King of glory shall come in. Who is the King of glory? The Lord strong and mighty, the Lord mighty in battle!” (Psalm 24: 9-10)

Ask the Lord to show you how to “lift up the gates” of your heart so that our Lord the “King” may come in, fight your battles and show Himself strong on your behalf. You’ve been bowed down for too long. Look up and live. Your purpose awaits you!

Post a comment or send me an email at Shepastor1@hotmail.com
Let us remember to remain in pray for the kidnapped girls in Nigeria. God is able and He won’t fail!

Until next Wednesday,
In Faith, Hope and Perseverance,
Pastor Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment