Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Shepastor: “The Embodiment of Victory Over Circumstances: A Salute to Rev. Carolyn Clark”

3Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. II Corinthians 1:3-4, NIV

Periodically, Shepastor stops to reflect upon the journeys of particular women in ministry. Today, we will highlight The Rev. Carolyn Clark, Associate Minister at Olivet Institutional Baptist Church, Cleveland, Ohio. I have been privileged to know and love Rev. Clark as a sister and family friend for more than 20 years. Vibrant, sassy, bold, funny and tenacious are a few words that accurately describe her. She is a woman of great faith. She is also a five times over cancer survivor.

I watched her as she pressed her way through seminary. I watched her as she pressed her way through a demanding Clinical Pastoral Education program through the Veteran’s Administration – earning 5 CPE units. And I watched her, undaunted as she experienced bouts of cancer – breast cancer, double mastectomy, cancer in the knee, cancer in her thyroid, spots of cancer in other parts of her body. None of these challenges, however, kept her from coming to church, preaching when given an opportunity, singing solos and encouraging others – always encouraging others.

Yesterday I learned that cancer has invaded, intruded, crept up once again – this time in her lungs. I called Rev. Clark today to see how she was doing. We chatted, laughed and talked about how this “fella cancer just doesn’t seem to get it – he keeps comin back!” We talked about how she has more lives than “the cat with nine!” But then seriously, we talked about how this is impacting her spirit. Rev. Clark responded, “Chrissy, after all I’ve been through and am still alive, I know that my experiences are meant to help encourage somebody else – to let them know that they can make it too. God still has work for me to do.”

What a testimony! I love and appreciate my sister, Rev. Clark. Truly she is the embodiment of II Corinthians 1:3-4, NIV,
3Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.

Oh the lessons we can learn from Rev. Clark. Maybe we don’t have cancer, but we all face trials, struggles, disappointments, setbacks, pain and at times, confusion. May we learn to mentally and spiritually reframe our plight. May we see our experiences as opportunities to “comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.”

Surely, we don’t know what tomorrow holds. But if our hope is built on the foundation of Jesus Christ our Lord, we know who holds tomorrow. Please join me in prayer for Rev. Clark. God is able, and He won’t fail.

Post a comment or send me an email at Shepastor1@hotmail.com

Until next Wednesday,
In Faith, Hope and Perseverance,
Pastor Chris

5 comments:

  1. Yes, this is a powerful witness! Thank you Lord for the life and ministry of Rev. Carolyn Clark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rev Clark is my aunt and she has been supportive of me. I was diagnosed w/breast cancer Aug 2013. She calls regularly with her words of encouragement. Aunt Carol is truely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my grandmother and I love her to death! I'm glad she can be an encouragement to others! I thank God for every daily breathe He allows her to take hoping she can see my children grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this encouraging portrait of a present day member of the "Hall of Faith." We are beginning a study on 2 Cor. this week and I will be raising up this WTIM sister as a living example of a living word! Blessings to her and her family and we will lift them up in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We give God praise today for the wonderful comments posted here and the emails I received, expressing thanksgiving for Rev. Clark's powerful testimony! So grateful that she willingly shared her words of encouragement to help others. Often, people are very guarded or ashamed of illness. Rev. Clark teaches us that when we prayerfully share our journey, it can truly benefit and encourage the body of Christ. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete