Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Shepastor: "Same Song, New Understanding..."

I Corinthians 13:12Common English Bible (CEB)

12 Now we see a reflection in a mirror; then we will see face-to-face. Now I know partially, but then I will know completely in the same way that I have been completely known.


This past weekend my family and I took a road trip to visit an ill family member. Praise God we found her healing, improving, glad to see us all. On the way there we broke the trip up into two days, but coming home, we needed to travel all in one day due to obligations back home.

Our current "travel" vehicle is smaller than our older car that is no longer "highway" ready. Therefore, we were somewhat cramped in the space. In order to make seating arrangements more bearable for our growing and "grown" bodies, both my husband and I took turns sitting in the back, and letting our young people take turns sitting in the front and driving. As I sat next to our 11 year old daughter, once she got beyond complaining about being squished between my older son and I, she began to share her favorite pictures with me on her tablet. We laughed, smiled, slept, ate snacks and held hands.

Out of the blue, she turned and looked at me and said, "Mommy, you are going to be so beautiful when you get older." Puzzled, (and frankly wondering where this was coming from)I said, "Aris, am I not beautiful now?" To which she responded, "Yes, Mommy, you are beautiful now, but not as beautiful as you are going to be. I can't wait to see you!"

In that moment, her words felt prophetic. I didn't question her about the origins of her line of thinking. We just smiled and my thoughts drifted into a kind of meditation as we looked out the window at cornfields, windmills, and highway.

Later, a song from about 30 years ago came on the radio...a Gospel song that I didn't particularly like during my teenage years because I could not understand the words - literally, the enunciation of the singer was not clear to me. The song did not make sense to me. It had a good beat, but I could not understand the words. I remember making up my own words when the singer sang the words I did not understand.

But for some reason, for the first time, when the song came on the radio that day, I understood the words! I not only understood the meaning of the words, I understood the singers enunciation of the words! All of a sudden, the song took on a new meaning for me. I didn't need to make up words to go along with the song. The song made sense to me!

As I pondered these two experiences, it occurred to me that my "future beauty" and my new understanding of a 30 year old song had a connection...life has a way of calling us back to things that previously made no sense and then speaking new revelations to our hearts. The light of that revelation brightens our "dim sight" and casts a beauty over our countenance that only time can bring.

Could this be the "beauty" that the prophet Isaiah declared the Lord would give us for ashes (Isaiah 61:3)? "Dear Lord, open my eyes that I may see glimpses of truth thou hast for me...open my eyes illumine me, Spirit divine."

Post a comment or send me an email at Shepastor1@hotmail.com

Until next Wednesday,
In Faith, Hope and Perseverance,
Pastor Chris
www.shepastorchris.org

No comments:

Post a Comment