Wednesday, January 4, 2012
Shepastor: “God’s Arithmetic Defies Logic”
Isaiah 55:8 (NLT)
8“My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the LORD.
“And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.
Some years ago I heard a sermon, God’s Arithmetic. The preacher declared, “Sometimes God subtracts in order to add – sometimes He divides in order to multiply…” Since becoming a pastor, I have learned to appreciate God’s arithmetic! Frequently, God’s methods of blessing us defy human logic. Today, Shepastor explores a few things we should consider as we experience situations and circumstances that appear to be anything but a blessing.
Shepastor: “God’s Arithmetic defies Logic”
As we work in the vineyard of the ministry, it’s so easy to fall into taking things personally – when things go well and when they don’t. It’s easy to forget that we are on assignment. Being open to the voice, the will and the way of the Lord requires a spirit of humility, submission and focus.
When God speaks and calls you to preach, “hard” messages that will not draw thousands and may in fact offend the few that you have – it defies human logic….
When God calls you to quit your job and go to seminary full time – it defies logic…
When changing direction will mean the loss of resources or income, it defies logic…
- When God told Gideon that his army was too large, it defied logic…
- When God told Moses to go back to Pharaoh with only a shepherd’s staff and declare, “Let my people go…” it defied logic
- When God told the widow to give the prophet Elisha her last portion of food, it defied logic
- When the three Hebrew boys refused to bow down and worship an idol and chose rather to go into the fiery furnace, it defied logic
- When the angel told Mary that she would be overshadowed by the power of the Holy Ghost and she would conceive a child, being a virgin, it defied logic
- When Jesus told Nicodemas that he needed to be born again in order to enter the Kingdom of Heaven, it defied logic
- The resurrection of Jesus Christ defies logic
God’s ways often defy logic! His ways are nothing like ours – they are above and beyond all that we can imagine. God may remove in order to make room for what He wants to add. God may divide, or create a different direction in order to multiply or increase effectiveness and better alignment with His will.
When God is removing or subtracting, dividing or clearing out, it doesn’t always feel good. For a season it may feel as though you don’t have what you need to survive. God, however, knows what He is doing. Obey His voice. Follow your assignment. Look beyond what is readily apparent. Allow the Lord to work out His arithmetic in the ministry assigned to you as well as in your life. The results will amaze you!
Have you experienced God’s arithmetic in your life? Post a comment or send me an email at Shepastor1@hotmail.com
Until next Wednesday,
In Faith, Hope and Perseverance,