Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Shepastor: “Are You a Climber?”


In recent times, to be labeled a “climber” is not a compliment. The term “climber” has taken on a negative connotation – the inference being that the one so named is willing to do whatever it takes – step on people, push people out of the way, kiss… to get wherever they want to go! Climbing, however, can be a positive and desirable thing depending upon the heights that one is desiring to reach.

Today, Shepastor reflects upon climbing higher in Christ. In our text for today, Colossians 3:1-4; 12-17, the writer admonishes those who are “risen” in Christ to seek those things that are higher.

Colossians 3: 1-4; 12-17

1If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 4When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

Colossians 3:12-17…

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; 13Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. 14And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. 15And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. 16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 17And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Shepastor: “Are You a Climber?”

The Negro spiritual, “I Ain’t Got Time To Die” declares,

Lord I keep so busy praisin' my Jesus
Keep so busy praisin' my Jesus
Keep so busy praisin' my Jesus
Ain't got time to die

'Cause when I'm helpin' the sick (I'm praisin' my Jesus)
When I'm helpin' the sick (I'm praisin' my Jesus)
When I'm helpin' the sick (I'm praisin' my Jesus)
Ain't got time to die

Chorus:
'Cause it takes all of my time (It takes all of my time, it takes it all)
All of my time (to praise Him)
If I don't praise Him the rocks are gonna cry out
Glory and honor, glory and honor
Ain't got time to die

Lord I keep so busy servin' my master (keep so busy)
Keep so busy servin' my master (I'm servin')
Keep so busy servin' my master
Ain't got time to die

'Cause when I'm givin' my all (I'm servin' my master) (I'm gonna give my all to Jesus)
When I'm givin' my all (I'm servin' my master) (I'm gonna give my all in all)
When I'm givin' my all (I'm servin' my master) (I'm givin' all of my life to Him)
Ain't got time to die

Now won't you get out of my way (oh get out of my way)
Get out of my way (you better get out of my way)
Let me tell you if I don't praise Him the rocks are gonna cry out
Glory and honor, glory and honor
Ain't got time to die

It’s so easy to be drawn into downward spiraling behaviors, thoughts and feelings. The words of the above Negro spiritual reflects a mindset that in so many words says – “I’m keeping so busy praising, serving and working for Jesus – I ain’t got time to die!” No time to fight foolish battles, no time to entertain gossip, no time to spend defending false accusations, no time to try to please “unpleasable” and “disagreeable” people – I ain’t got time to die!

Harboring anger, fretting, worry, anxiety, fear and all other toxic feelings will kill you. Trying to repay others for the wrongs they’ve done to you will kill you. Trying to figure out why somebody does or does not like you will kill you. Trying to figure out how to appease emotionally manipulative people will kill you. Instead, be a climber! Climb high above reacting and become a responder. Through prayer, faith, love and good sense, choose how to respond to dysfunctional and damaging behaviors. Stop allowing others to pull your proverbial strings.

Climb high above attitudes, behaviors, actions etc., that are beneath the place where Christ has placed you. Climb higher in love, higher in forgiveness, higher in compassion, higher in the determination to keep so busy praising, serving and working for Jesus that you don’t have time to die! Praise, work and serve the Lord with such fervor, joy and focus that you climb daily towards higher heights in Jesus Christ. Everything else will then follow.

Post a comment or send me an email at Shepastor1@hotmail.com

Until Next Wednesday
In Faith, Hope and Perseverance,
Pastor Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment